1.25.2007

Fearless Fibers

Hi! Remember me? Thou shalt not buy any more yarn? Thou art on a financial diet? Well, thanks to Opal's beautiful Here There Be Dragon socks I broke the unspoken rules and bought some Fearless Fibers sock yarn. Whoops! The yarn is an incredible deal (550 yds of superwash merino for only $14.50) and looks beautiful to boot. I bought it at around 8am Tuesday morning, got an email verifying payment received not a half hour later, and it was here, in my greedy little hands, today. Yup, it got shipped out that day from Hillsboro, OR and made it cross-country to NYC in two days. I know it is Priority Mail and all, but when they say they will ship immediately they really mean it! And here's another incentive to buy lots of yarn from them - shipping was $4.00 for the first skein and only $0.50 for the second!

Fearless Fibers Superwash Sock Yarn in
Midnight Passion and Glorious Green.


I can't wait to give this stuff a try. Add two more to the sock stash.

Speaking of socks, there's some sad news today. I ripped out Oriel. Hasta las vista. Addio. Gone to the time-out corner. You don't need to see a graphic picture, I'm sure you can imagine the carnage well enough on your own. I was really having a hard time knitting with the yarn (which I think is KnitPicks Essentials? I need to find the other ball...) on such small needles (size 00). I think the needles may be too small for the yarn (the size 0 needles were indisposed at the time I cast on), and the yarn itself if kind of rough... I do love the pattern, so I might give it another go in the near future. In the meantime I think some of my other sock books need equal play time. I've knit five patterns from Sensational Knitted Socks, the newly completed Beaded Rib, Harebell Lace (which were the subject of my very first post!), Woven Stitch, Welt Fantastic, and (I think) Elongated Corded Rib. (That last one was knitted a while ago for a certain ex- and I rather think I have blocked it out of my mind.) In the meantime, I have these other books full of lovely patterns: Knitting Vintage Socks, Socks Socks Socks, and Folk Socks, not to mention many other books and magazines that have sock patterns in them. It's time to branch out, don't you think?

The one pattern I have done from KVS is, of course, the Child's French Socks in Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock. The pattern is gorgeous, the yarn is gorgeous, and since I have no other socks on the needles anymore (ha) it seemed perfectly reasonable to cast on for the second sock. The one sock is so lonely! I am horrified that I cast on for the first sock all the way back on September 23rd. I had forgotten how much I love this pattern and this yarn. It's simple enough to be a traveling sock (once I get the feel for it) but it's interesting enough to keep me from getting bored. That was one of the problems with Oriel - it was too complicated to be a traveling sock (a 12-stitch pattern over 28 rows, yikes!) In the future I think Oriel will count as a lace project instead of a sock project - it just takes too much attention and concentration!

Still trudging along on a secret project. Hoping to unveil it soon!

Gratuitous sock yarn shot.

6 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger schrodinger said...

oooh, I can see why you buckled, that yarn looks gorgeous. Sorry to hear about Oriel.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Diane said...

It's been fun watching everyone fall off the "I will not buy yarn this year" wagon. Your purchase is beautiful .... definately worth falling off the wagon for.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Ginny said...

Thank you!! I think you totally deserve to buy new sock yarn for all the encouragement you've given me over on my blog...I appreciate it.

I also love the SKS, but I vote for a Folk Sock. What about the purple in that Lacy Sock (the one with the French name I can't remember)?

I swear, I am going to finish my Child's First Sock in Shell Pattern this month...

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I just love my Fearless Fibers too - awesome customer service and the price is right! I haven't turned mine into anything fabulous yet - but your skeins are gorgeous!

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Alison said...

I've been waffling over Fearless Fibers ever since I saw it on Opal's blog, too. I probably would have caved if not for the fact I had just bought five pairs worth of yarn from The Loopy Ewe:) Not that I needed any more anyway:)

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I'm glad to see you love the yarn you bought. I almost snatched up the Glorious Green myself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home