1.23.2007

Winning and Losing, Part II

I win! The SKS Beaded Rib Socks are done:


The beaded rib socks are almost knee socks since I wanted to use up all the yarn I had. I used some mystery yarn from days gone by, and part of it began life as this sock/impromptu wrist warmer. I suspect the yarn is an alpaca-synthetic mix, since it fairly fuzzy and seems very similar to the yarn I made socks for my roommate many moons ago, and she has washed and dried those in machines! They are toe-up, the first (completed) ones of this type that I have ever done. (Oriel are also toe up, but were until yesterday in a semi-permanent stall.) Since I do not own a ball-winder or a yarn scale, I needed an alternative method. As such I maximized yarn usage as follows:
  • Knit as far as I could with one skein
  • Knit as far as I could with the other skein (this was a different length)
  • Reclaim the maroon yarn from the old sock/impromptu wrist warmer
  • Wash said yarn (it was really kinky from being knitted for like, I don't know, 8 years or so)
  • Do not wind newly washed yarn into a ball, but lay carefully over the arm of the sofa
  • Knit on shorter sock until the two socks are the same length
  • Count the number of loops left in the "skein"
  • Divide by 2
  • Subtract a few for good measure
  • Keep track of the number of loops I am unlooping as I knit
  • When the halfway point (of loops) is reached, bind off first sock
  • Wind the rest into a ball
  • Knit the other sock to the same number of rows as the first
  • End up with about 8 yards extra
That's it! I was so impressed with the economy of it all. I had to incorporate some increases since, as you can clearly see, the socks go halfway up my calves. I cleverly hid them in the purl spaces of the ribs, such that the purl spaces get wider but the knit spaces to not. They are topped off with about 1/2 inch of regular ribbing (I would have done much more but I didn't realize how close I was to the end of the first sock, and I was not going to rip 20 or 30 rows of perfectly good sock since it is ribbed already anyway.)

You won't see any increases here - because there aren't any.

On with the Specs:
Yarn: Who the heck knows? Possibly an alpaca/synthetic blend (see above)
Needles: 5 US size 2 Empress wooden dpns
Size: CO 50 stitches for a slightly narrow size 7 1/2 (US) shoe
Started: 02 January 2007
Finished: 22 January 2007
Mods: Increased in purl spaces for sort-of knee socks (somewhat haphazardly but luckily hidden by the fuzzy nature of the socks). Did the short-row heel as proscribed and find I like it much better in a sock that actually fits my foot (refer to the Sixth Sense Socks for more details about that).

Sock Art.

So why do I lose? I think I am allergic to alpaca.

I loved my clever way of dividing a single skein of sock yarn into two that I decided to do the same thing with my new Socks That Rock yarn. Unfortunately I was a tad enthusiastic and forgot about my Big Plan until after this happened:

Whoops! I lose again.

How will I divide up my precious Scottish Highlands now? (No, I am not winding it by hand back into a skein only to unwind it again.)

Speaking of Scottish Highlands, Leah asked if I had any particular plans for this yarn... It is so lovely and I really don't I don't know what kind of pattern would look good with a variegated yarn like this. The color transitions are pretty close together. Any suggestions?

3 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Blogger Alison said...

I will make knee socks someday:) Yours look great and I love the STR colorway!

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger peaknits said...

The socks are great - and your modifications rock! Very economical!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first 4 pairs of socks were ankle high and right now I am dealing with socks more than ankle high - but I am dreaming of knee high socks! So envy of yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home