1.15.2007

What Would You Do?

Here's the thing. It doesn't really fit.

I like the general sillouette and the general idea, but though I swatched and even got gauge (I think, more or less), I am at least two inches shy in circumference of it actually fitting. At least. Maybe more like four.

I'm skinny, but I'm not that skinny...

Sorry for the somewhat blurry nighttime in the mirror shot. It's the best I can manage. I might try Sandra's trick of knitting in additional panels for the sides (yay, more seaming), but then the sleeves won't set in properly. Or will they?

But the biggest complaint I think might be the delightful aforementioned garter stitch seam on the bias:

Me so ugly.

This is as tight as I can pull the seaming thread because, since it is on the bias, it pulls the fabric in a weird way. And you can still clearly see the thread. I tried to convince myself that I might be able to ignore it, but in reality I think it just looks bad. Homemade, crappy, bad. Plus I can't even get the darn thing to line up at the bottom properly. And then there's the puckering. The garter stitch border is a delightful design element at first glance, but as it turns out, a really bad idea. (I would also like to take this opportunity to also point out that the one and only photo from the magazine is from a great distance, you cannot really see the detail, and the sweater is done up in a dark, flaw disguising yarn. Bastards.)

So I ask you: What would you do?

This is not a rhetorical question, I really am looking for a way out. I mean, suggestions.

6 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Oof. To be perfectly honest, I'd probably take it to my knitting group for some sage advice. I rarely knit sweaters so I really don't have any sage advice of my own, but you do have my sympathy.

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you ask Nona? Here is the link:http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I can't offer useful advice... you know me, all of my knitting projects turn into tote bags.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I also have sympathy - I can feel the frustration. I hope maybe you have found some solutions over the past couple of days? My fingers are croseed!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Anushka said...

I don't think there is a solution, if it's too small. You could try blocking again, but I doubt it'll make much difference. Got a skinny young acquaintance in need of a gift?

It's a shame because it's really lovely, i don't think it looks crappy OR home-made.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie
Sorry, no knitting. You did a lovely little review of "Yeomen of the Guard" at City Center. I am particularly interested in quoting your comments about the choreography on my own site. May I have permission? I'd also give a link to your blog. Probably inadvisable to leave my e-mail here; please contact me at my site:

http://www.zombiemikado.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home