10.15.2006

Welcome Autumn!

I read somewhere that Indian Summer doesn't happen until after you have the first frost of the year. That hasn't happened yet, so I guess my previous assertation (about it being Indian Summer already) was wrong. Nevertheless, autumn is here in full force! I wore my winter coat yesterday and was not hot! The past two nights it has been in the 40s. Brrr! Thank goodness the heat in my building finally turned on last night! Hooray! (For those of you who don't know, a lot of older buildings in NYC don't have the kind of heat that you can control with a thermostat. There is a radiator, which turns on when the temperature is "cold enough", and you can turn your own radiator in you apartment either on or off. Ain't no inbetween!)

I figure this is a good opportunity to update on a few projects in the works. Swallowtail Shawl is in a semi-permanent stall:

Posing on a rock by the lake in the middle of Central Park.

I have had a lot of other things on my plate, so Swallowtail sort of got put on the back burner, especially since I missed my original deadline of Oct 3rd (when I went to see Faust) and my extended deadline of Oct 10th, when I went to see this, and here is proof:


For those of you who are keeping track (is anyone keeping track?) That's three different operas in three weeks by three different composers. Idomeneo was written by Mozart, his very first opera, and considered by some to be the best opera seria ever written. The story takes place in Crete after the Trojan War. The main characters include Idomeneo (Idomeneus in the legend), the king of Crete, who was allied with Greece during the war; his son Idamante; Ilia, the daughter of Priam (King of Troy), who was captured in the war and sent to Crete; and Elletra of Argos (Electra from the legend, sister of Orestes). Are you confused yet? Greek legends are like that. :)

Can you see on the program that it was conducted by James Levine? He is one of my very favorite Met conductors. This production also featured Kristine Jepson as Idamante and Ben Heppner as Idomeneo, both excellent excellent artists. (Really the whole cast was excellent, but these two were, in my opinion, the best.)

Anyway. My new deadline is Oct. 31st, which is when I go to see my next opera, and it should be a doozy!

Some stash enhancement happened over the weekend:


Whoops! Spent a little money. Ok, a lot of money. I placed an order a little while ago from LittleKnits, who, by the way, have awesome customer service so go order something from them right now. The package came Friday, but I had to wait until Saturday to go pick it up from the PO. In actuality there are 3 skeins of the Eco +, 4 skeins of the Provence, 6 skeins of the Nature Wool (which is the same kind, though different color, as what I am using for my much neglected Salina), and 10 skeins of the Debbie Bliss. Only one skein of the Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn. Gack! Truthfully, as I was cruising their website I had patterns in mind for all these yarns. Now I can only remember one: the Provence is slated for the Wine Red Backless Top from Rebecca No. 29. Wish me luck - I have been wanting this for a long time, but not been able to find the specified yarn, ggh Scarlett. So not only am I doing a yarn substitution, but I will have to try to decipher the directions...

One reason Salina and Swallowtail have been neglected:


My scarf for the ISE is woefully incomplete, even though I jumped to an early lead (had it half completed within the first 2 weeks!) This package has to be received by my pal by Nov. 1st, which means kicking some Backyard Leaves butt the next few days. Right now she is about 75% done.


And of course my travelling project, Child's French Socks. I haven't had much time to knit while travelling lately, so I have only just turned the heel of the first sock and am in the midst of the foot decreases. Love love love the Lorna's Laces!

4 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Gigi said...

Hi Carrie,
This is Gigi from Adventures in Crochet. My heart nearly stopped when I saw your kitty picture. My little girl, Cita, was just those colors! Anywho, to answer your questions:
The card image comes from a great rubber stamping company called, appropriately, Stampin' Up! When I saw that image I had just gotten into making scarves and knew I HAD to have it! LOL

I live north of your previous residence. The leaves have been turning her for a while but are now doing so in earnest! It is so brief and so lovely.

Do you like living in NY? I've visited several places and must say enjoyed it. Was this your first ISE?

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I love your shawl in progress, I have been eying that one too. I am always pushing deadlines- eek! My Backyard Leaves is almost 1/2 done - I think. I'm using Cashoft by Rowan, I can't help but wonder if it will grow at all in the blocking process, because it sure is a bumpy mess for now:)
I am not usually into variegated either, and the Noro Iso is a little "rough and natural" but the sweater look has my name on it - I hope I can get it done? Another deadline! Good luck with yours!

How exciting the Opera! I don't get too much culture here in the midwest but it sounds marvelous. You'll need that shawl to warm your shoulders at the next performance!

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure you'll finish the swallowtail in time for Oct. 31... And yay heat! Easier to curl up & knit when your fingers aren't purple.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have tooo, tooo many projects ... and they are all adorable! Really like the coloures you are using forn each one! Coloures can tell lot of you!

P.S. Talking about weather - we are freezing during night, but I like it that way! And I like sleeping only in my undershirt and panties under few blankets!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home