9.10.2006

Wasting Away in Finished Object-ville

I have been a busy bee! Several finished objects to show. I like this new dedication to finishing things. It gives me such a sense of accomplishment. On with the show...

Welt Fantastic socks from Sensational Knitted Socks:

Just lounging on the patio.

I simply can't get enough of this book. I love everything in it. These little beauties are for me. Knitted in KnitPicks Sock Garden in the colorway Pansy on 5 US size 1 dpns. Knitted at a gauge of 6.5 stitches and 11 rows per inch. This yarn didn't knit up in a gauge suitable for both my foot and the pattern, so I increased the number of stitches in the welt pattern to 15 (from 11) for a total cast-on of 60. I did 5 pattern repeats each for the leg and the foot. It turns out I could have made the socks much longer, because I only used 1.5 skeins at 220 yards per skein (I had bought 3). I tend to prefer tall socks to anklet-sized socks. I guess another pair of Pansy colored socks are in the future! I know I have said before that I don't much like variagated yarns, but this is another that I really do like the way it turned out in the finished product.

I think this means I can start a new sock project!

Icarus Shawl is finally blocking:


Here it is pinned out on the livingroom floor (on a clean sheet of course, to protect it from the roving bands of cat hair). It took me about an hour to get it this good. The shawl is actually longer than the livingroom rug. The right corner is pinned to the welcome mat from our door. I tried blocking it first on the bed but it was too big.

Mary wanted to help me out of course.

Finished photos for sure tomorrow.

And here we have the secret project that I mentioned a few posts back. I have decided just to show it, since these friends don't actually know about this blog (yet). Here he is, Kirju:

An Estonian sheep puppet from the Summer 2006 Spin-Off! I am not a spinner, but I saw these guys on the cover and I just knew I had to make one for a very special little baby boy born this summer. It took me a long time... Fair Isle is really hard! I love that iron cross-like pattern though. I used Knitpicks palette in the colors Peach and Apricot on 5 US size 1 needles. Isn't he just adorable?

Finally, I had so much fun with the lace swap that I signed up for another one. I have joined the International Scarf Exchange swap! My choices:

The pattern is Backyard Leaves from the fabulous book Scarf Style, and the yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmarino Aran in color 300617. Love the stuff. Love. The. Stuff. Must buy more of the stuff. It is so soft. Why have I never knitted with this before? Oh yes, the price. I think I am going to have a hard time parting with the finished product... The pattern is quite easy too, once you get the hang of it, even if the chart is as intimidating as hell. Two pattern repeats down, 20+ to go. Can I finish and send it out by November 1st?

3 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Ginny said...

We're tripping the Welt Fantastic together! I love yours. I'm finally to the foot of the second sock.

Oddly, I also went up to 15 sts for a 60-st cast-on, and am making 5 pattern repeats on the ankle and foot. Great minds must think a like.

So out of sheer curiosity, what's your foot size? Because these don't fit my 10W foot. :( And I'm going to need to find someone with smaller feet to gift these to.

Thanks!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Your Icarus looks fantastic! So does your socks, handpuppet, and scarf. Lovely lovely lovely...

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Deenz said...

Very cute sheep puppet! It's nice to see other people's finished ones - mine will likely be a "whenever" kind of project!

Mary looks like she's related to my Zoe (also a medium-haired torti)...and she also likes to dig into piles of clothes...or a blanket...or the fabric I'm trying to lay out for pattern cutting, lol...must be in the genes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home