10.26.2006

Swallowtail Completed

It took me 3 days to find some decent light! Finally I settled on these pics from Central Park:

First I tried by the Turtle Pond, but the direct sunlight was too bright.

At Cleopatra's Needle, behind the Met.

The wind, she started to blow...

Another one just for kicks.

Project Specs:
Pattern: Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn Clark from IK Fall 2006
Yarn: KnitPicks Alpaca Cloud (100% baby alpaca) in Tide Pool, 1 hank
Needles: size 3 Clover wooden circulars (24")
Finished Dimensions: 60" across the top, 28" top to point
Time to Complete: 31 days (28 really, it took me 3 days to photograph!)
Pattern Mods: None

I definately like it, it's definately lovely, but I don't know how warm my shoulders will be at the Met! (The Met opera house, not the Met art museum...) I am seriously considering making another one in fingerling weight... Just as soon as I finish a few more UFOs!

8 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Wow...this is a most impressive, gorgeous shawl. I can't believe how quickly you got it finished - you must have an opera coming up soon! What a crowning piece for any ensemble! (And taking pictures in Central Park, ahhhh...how metropolitan to a mid-west bumpkin!:0)

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Kate A. said...

Gorgeous shawl! But I had to laugh about your difficulty in getting decent light...what is it about this city? I've never yet found a single patch of decent picture-taking light, while all these other bloggers out there seem to have perfect conditions in their backyards every day....

You're right about the opera, and what a good excuse to wear my own shawl! I did wear mine to the Met (museum) a couple of times, and it felt just right there...

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger jennie said...

I know there must be more out there, but I was SO excited to find another knitting opera fan on the web. HURRAH! "Back in the day" I was an opera singer (that is, before I started grad school). I always used to get season tickets to the Met and travel in from Philly. People thought I was nuts. But I love it...

Your swallowtail looks beautiful. I love the way the subtle variation in the yarn color works with the pattern. Congrats!

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is definitely amazing! Hope you'll keep it!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Gigi said...

Just gorgeous (there must be an echo on your blog...)!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I just have to comment again - I think I may make this shawl using similar yarn due to your inspiration! Fabulous!

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger schrodinger said...

The shawl looks lovely. I'm curious to know how many stares you got when photographing in the park :)

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Your Swallowtail is gorgeous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home