10.24.2006

Lace Mohair is Really Really Tiny

At least, Karabella Lace Mohair is. I remember when I first got it I took it out of the box (it was a mail order) and thought to myself "good god, what have I gotten myself into?" Here is a view of four yarns I have used recently, or am currently using:

From front to back, the Karabella Lace Mohair (Trellis Scarf), KnitPicks Alpaca Cloud (Swallowtail Shawl), KnitPicks Shadow (Icarus), and Lorna's Laces Shephard Sock (Child's French Socks). The mohair is tiny, even tinier than than the Alpaca Cloud, which I found out is pretty small.

Knitting with the mohair is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that the stuff is so sticky that it is really hard to actually drop a stitch. A curse in that the stuff is so sticky that ripping back is kind of a pain.


I have thus far completed four repeats of the lace pattern, two in the past two days. The lace pattern is 16 rows long, and it takes so long to do just one repeat. I may have to rethink keeping this project as my "lace project". The pattern calls for 23 pattern repeats. (Ha ha! Only 19 more to go! Will it take 19 days?)

Swallowtail photos tomorrow (I hope) - I didn't get home until after dark!

2 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once I blew knitting with mohair at very end (it was hat) and it was impossible to rip it! So I throw it away!
Scarf you are knitting is such pleasure to look at. Can't wait for finished product!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

On top of finishing the beautiful swallowtail...you are knitting another gorgeous piece! I agree with Sandra, it is a treat to just look at these gorgeous pieces!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home