1.13.2009

Not As Smart As We Think We Are

Or at least, not as fast, anyway. I haven't finished the BFL roving yet because I've been sicker than a dog. I did manage, however, to get a wee bit of spinning in on the new favorite child. And skeining. And setting the twist. And drying. Ahem. Anyway, here's the little sample skein in all its glory:

2009-01-13_merino_silk_sample.jpg

I'd call that lace-weight, wouldn't you? The little skein was so wee that it had trouble supporting the dime.

2009-01-13_merino_silk_sample2.jpg

I love the way it looks. It's dark and shiny...and dark and shiny... It's about the size of one of those little skeins of embroidery floss, is nine yards long, and is maybe one gram, maybe (my kitchen scale laughed at me when I tried to weigh it).

2009-01-13_merino_silk_sample3.jpg

Thing is, I didn't terribly love spinning it. The combination of merino and bamboo proved difficult to handle at such a small scale. The yarn broke a lot while I was spinning which resulted in its being overspun (overcompensating, you see). By quite a bit. I had to dry it with a tin of baking powder hanging off it in order to get it to hang straight. Still, I love the fiber and have already started spinning up more at a slightly thicker weight. The new single is probably around laceweight-to-slightly-larger, and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

So, grasshopper, do what the fiber (and your skills) tell you to do...

Meanwhile, back at the Henley Ranch...

The back is done! And the left front! All that's left of the body is the right front, from the beginning of the armhole shaping and up. The bad news is there's only about five grams of yarn left from this skein. Definitely not enough to finish the whole front. I though for a minute about cannibalizing the back (sort of ripping as I knit, ripping back a few rows farther, then adding in a new ball to the back instead of the front, so it would be less noticeable), but depending how far I get with the little bit that's left maybe I'll just try starting a new ball on the front. I'll probably end up ripping out some of the back. Let this be a lesson - when knitting in the round, always knit the front of a sweater first, that way if you run out the join will be on the back, where you won't be able to see it (at least not while you are wearing it!)

2 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Blogger Opal said...

merino/bamboo type blends are much easier to spin on a wheel. ahem.

do you whack your yarn when you set the twist? that often helps with the overspun bits.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, but it is pretty. Dark and shiny -- yumm. Hope you're feeling better!

(Oh, my ... my word verification word is "demented". How did they know?????)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home