1.01.2009

Buon Anno Nuevo

Ciao amici!

It's a new year and a new me. I resolve this year to complete the things that I set out to do. Not too difficult a proposition, eh?

The first resolution of the new year was to do something with a little something I rescued:

2008-12-29_g3.jpg

Sweet. It's a 400MHz Power Mac G3 (Blue & White), and it's been sitting in the center of my living room floor for the past three weeks. (No that's not my living room, it's my kitchen.) At this point yesterday I had no idea if the thing even turned on. No sense rescuing the thing if I wasn't going to do anything with it, right? ;)

Anyone remember this?

2008-12-29_os9.jpg

Heh. Well, since I am already running one Mac, and I have no need really for old OS 9 (as good as it was), as nostalgic as it is (everybody say "awwwww") I have decided to "upgrade". Actually, my first thought was to trick this machine out and give it to my aunt so that she can finally get an iPod. She is currently using a old laptop (make and model unknown) running Windows95. That's right, the computer is so old it won't run anything newer than Windows95. (Although now that I think about it, I'm sure I could do something about that as well..) Anyway, I popped this puppy open to see what I was working with and discovered I had a 9 GB HD (quite impressive back when this machine was new), a temperamental CD-ROM, and only 384 RAM. Well the RAM is easy to take care of, it is upgradeable to 1GB, although it's a tad pricey. Even the CD-ROM I can probably replace by myself (when it spins it sounds like a sick cow), and I'm not sure it's entirely necessary anyway (although it is if I wanted to make this into a machine for my aunt). But the HD... oh the HD. 9 GB isn't much space these days, and it would be great to upgrade, but there are a couple of issues though that make it difficult. I won't talk about it here just yet, as the tech speak may make you go blind. Anyway, what's the next best thing?

2009-01-01_ubuntu.jpg

Ah, bliss. And free free free.

Resolution #1 - check.

So what do you have on your list?

1 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger Opal said...

what the heck is xubuntu? all that i have on my list is "get hair styled". pretty simple eh? happy new year! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home