3.19.2007

March Madness

I didn't make the first round cut in Sock Madness, due to a number of extenuating circumstances, but I did get some decent socks out of it:

Mad Cows enjoy some coffee on the patio...

Before running inside because it is friggin' cold outside!

Toasty.

The Mad Cow Socks were not being very cooperative in the photo shoot arena, so this is all you get. On with the...

Project Specs:
Pattern: Mad Cow Socks by Jennifer Brooks Young from Sock Madness 2007 Round 1
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill in Burgundy and Northern Lights
Needles: 5 US size 1 (2.25 mm) metal dpns for the foot and let, US size 0 (2 mm) for the cuff
Size: CO 8 stitches for a toe-up sock, increasing up to 56 stitches
Started: 10 March 2007
Finished: 15 March 2007
Pattern Mods: No modifications were allowed for the competition! After I was out, however, I doubled the length of the cuff and used one needle size smaller to work. I used Grumperina's bind-off.

These socks have confirmed that I really do need to use size 0 needles (or fewer stitches) to get a sock that really fits me well. These socks are quite comfy and cozy, but they are a tad on the loose side, even with the tighter cuff, and there is a bit of extra fabric on the instep. I'm not sure I can bear ripping them out again though. I like the interplay of the two complementary yarns (there is no red in the Northern Lights!) Also, I have realized how some of those sock mavens out there knit socks so fast! Plain stockinette is speedy, even when you are juggling two balls of yarn!

Of course I cast on for another pair the very next day:

Can you guess the pattern?

Claudia's Hand Painted in Eat Your Veggies.

Yes, the yarn is called Eat Your Veggies, but I have another name for it... which will be revealed when the socks are a little further along...

5 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Maxly said...

Wow--these are beautiful!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I LOVE these socks!! The combo color is gorgeous!! Beautiful!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Fantastic socks! Oh & eat your veggies! How cute!!!

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Opal said...

Fantastic socks! I've had my eye on Eat Your Veggies for awhile. I just adore that name.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger peaknits said...

I love both of your socks - finished and started! Is the newly casted pair Monkey? I love the yarn choices! yum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home