3.05.2007

In the Sea......

the fish have learned to fly
on a moonlit night,
on wings of silver,
as the enchanted stars
sail serenely by.

Do they know
where do unicorns go?
Where winged horses fly?
Narwhals lost at sea
and never seen again...

My favorite movie growing up was The Last Unicorn, and it still holds a very special place in my heart. Based on the classic story by Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn was a fantastic and stylishly animated fantasy, very different from the cartoons being produced by US studios at the time. In fact, The Last Unicorn is not really a children's movie at all (and I wouldn't show it to small children). I cry every time I watch it. And yes, I still do watch it. If you have never seen this classic you owe it to yourself to seek it out. If you have seen it, take another look at the Pomotamus Socks...

Do you see it?

I see the clouds in the opening sequence.

Or maybe the surf where the unicorns are hiding.

My fish have learned to fly.


Project Specs:
Pattern: Pomotamus Socks by Cookie A. from Knitty Winter 2005 (to be known hereafter as the Last Unicorn Socks)
Yarn: Claudia Hand Painted in Stormy Day (from The Loopy Ewe) - 175 yards per skein was just barely enough yarn
Needles: 5 US size 0 (2 mm) metal dpns
Size: CO 72 stitches to fit a slightly narrow US size 7 1/2 foot
Started: 16 February 2007
Finished: 03 March 2007
Pattern Mods: None really, except I worked the heel flap on more than two needles (the held stitches rested on three needles until the flap was about an inch long and then switched to one needle) because trying to do it as written was too tight and fiddly and I was afraid I was going to stretch the end stitches all out of shape.

Do you believe?

10 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Ginny said...

Beautiful socks! That Cookie is something...

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Last Unicorn was TOTALLY my favorite movie as a kid. And yes, it still makes me cry :)

Your poma look beautiful. Congrats! (and I love your skirt/dress!)

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Extra beautiful Pomotamus socks!!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I believe those socks came out beautifully. I love the pictures too. What a lovely post

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Your socks rock! Another gorgeous pair!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger schrodinger said...

Your poms look fantastic, what great pictures.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

OMG -- The Last Unicorn was one of my favorites as a kid! I think I completely wore out my tape of it (I wonder if it's on DVD?). Always made me cry, but I loved it so.

The socks are beautiful!

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Leah said...

I LOVE the last unicorn!!! Thanks for reminding me that I should put it on my netflix queue.

Those socks are quite stunning. I totally see the clouds!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger African Kelli said...

Well, I have to believe now. Gorgeous work!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Lovely Last Unicorn Socks. Yes, those colors do inspire memories of the movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home