3.11.2007

Down But Not Out

Madness

Sock Madness Round 1 started off with a bang Saturday morning, around 8am Eastern Time. I did not start off with a bang, having been sleeping at the time. It was a long work week and I really needed to catch up on my Zzz's. Nonetheless, by Saturday afternoon I had knitted the entirety of one foot of Jennifer Booker Young's Mad Cow Socks:


The pattern is an easy alteration of solid and variagated yarns in a striping pattern. The name is derived from the originals, and you can clearly see the reason. Looking good, right?

Wrong. The "seam" where the color change occurred looked like ass. That's right, I said it: ass. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that this kind of shoddy workmanship would never be acceptable (to me), but there I was with one entirely crappy foot. So, in a competition where speed matters, I ripped. The whole foot except for the toe. An entire day's work gone. It was painful, to say the least.

Distraction


The moderators clearly did not consider my schedule when deciding to start Round 1 the same day as the rescheduled Juan Diego Florez concert. How could you do this to me, Sock Madness moderators? (I say this in jest - I know it was not a conspiracy! Or was it...?)

The unfortunate juxtaposition put a damper on my sock knitting aspirations, but was a distraction worthy of my time. Full disclosure... domani. In the meantime, one sock is now down, one to go. I feel like I knit this sock twice, with all the ripping action that went on. Unfortunately, there are some insane knitters out there that have finished their pair of socks. Finished. In two days. Alas, I do not have that kind of dedication.

How many bel canto works do you see?

6 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Veronique said...

Finish a pair of socks in 2 days?! Madness indeed.
The socks madness sounds like fun, except when people blow you out of the water like that! :)

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger peaknits said...

Is it wrong that I giggled when I saw "ass" - I love that word as an adjective for some reason?! Anyways - I love how the socks were looking - not sure how ass happened. Can't wait to see how these mad cows come out! Good luck!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I'm so sorry you had to visit the frog pond so many times. The price of perfection. OTOH, your sock is looking fabulous. And a sock in 2 days? Madness indeed! I'm cheering for you! Woohoo!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger southern gal said...

how's this to make you feel better.... i have not even STARTED my socks!

yikes and yikes again!

i will so be eliminated in this contest

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Alison said...

I didn't join. I'm a fairly fast knitter, but whenever I join something that involves speed (who can knit the most socks during the summer), I automatically resist. I think it has to do with my own perfectionist streak. Because if I know I'm going for speed, I might not be willing to frog if I have to and I know I won't be happy with the FO.

I am enjoying watching everyone else though. Good luck!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Leah said...

That colorway looks great in that pattern!!! I can't wait to see them all done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home