3.23.2007

Geek

So now you know my geekiness knows no bounds. Knitting, dancing, opera, and now Pirates. I was watching Dancing With the Stars Monday night when the broadcast premiere of the Pirates trailer played. (Why they chose Dancing With the Stars I have no idea.) Brilliant trailer! I was only half watching the TV, since it was a commercial break, but I think I did a double-take. May 25th, hooray! 2007? It must be 2008. No, 2007! Two months from now! There may have been some jumping up and down. I had no idea that the next movie was even in production (I think I read somewhere that Johnny Depp did say in an interview that he would make as many as Disney churned out). I love Johnny Depp, have since Edward Scissorhands, which still remains one of my favorite movies. (I also love Tim Burton, love his wit and vision.) I love the Pirates franchise even though it is hugely commercial, love the wildly fantastical characters, and the cutting edge special effects. These are movies you have to see on the big screen.

(A quick visit to IMDb suggests that Dead Man's Chest and At World's End were filmed at the same time. It also indicates that he will play Sweeny Todd in an upcoming film version of that classic musical of the same name, due to be released at the end of the year, and also starring Alan Rickman, whom I also think is a brilliant and versatile actor. Can't wait!)

I have been sick, oh so sick, for a week now, so much so that I have been home from work shuffling around the apartment for days. It has take over an hour for me to write this much. It's raining, which doesn't improve my disposition much. My parents came into the city for a birthday dinner this week (early, since they will be in California visiting my grandmother and other relatives on my actual birthday). My sister ended up coming down after work too. We all went to dinner at a German restaurant in the neighborhood, which was fairly good (nothing to complain about), after which my mother and I went to go see Il Barbiere di Siviglia at the Met (again for me, the first time ever to an opera for her), and my sister and father hung out at Doc Watson's and watched hockey and basketball until we returned. Going out into the night air was a bad idea for me to do, but the tickets were so expensive, and I had planned it for so long, that I wasn't not going unless on death's door.

I am proclaiming Adrienne the winner of the impromptu contest. Sorry it took me so long... Congratulations Adrienne! I still have not picked any additional prizes, but maybe I can give you a choice. Adrienne came closest to what I originally meant, though I will explain the whole deal... when I feel a little better.

I owe everyone responses and emails and comments and packages... many many apologies. I am finding it such hard work just sitting up at the desk to type this. I haven't even finished one darn sock in four days of being home sick. You know it's pretty bad if that's the case.

Addio tutti ~

6 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger adrienne said...

"pirates" and opera...you are right. that is really an odd mix. i love johnny depp too. he kinda grows on you. i went back to watch edward scissorhands after watching some of his more recent movies. it was a cute movie.

hope you start feeling better real fast!

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Now I'm excited about Sweeney Todd. I'm not really a musical lover, but I do think that one is rather fascinating from what I know of it. I think Depp would be fabulous in it.

I'm so sorry to hear you're sick. Take care of yourself and get better soon!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger southern gal said...

i'm sick too. day three and no knitting yet. sleeping a lot and lawnorder is about the level of tv i can muster... this is the first time in three days i have looked at blogs and SO annoyed i missed Yarn Harlot.

back to the sofa.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I am massive Depp fan as well, can't wait for Sweeney Todd!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger schrodinger said...

Awwww, I hope you're feeling better. Happy Birthday!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I hope you are feeling better!! And hope you had a super Happy Birthday!Yay! We had a pirate party for my daughter, aaaaaaye can't wait til Dead Man's Chest!! Arg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home