2.05.2007

Hey Hey We're the Monkees

Am I the only person who watched the reruns of The Monkees back in the 80s? For me it was like a brand new show, since I was not actually alive in the 60s. I loved this show, the crazy hijinks, the music, and most especially Davy Jones. :) That guy was cute no matter what generation you belonged to.

(OK, you got me, I liked watching The Partridge Family too. And yes, David Cassidy was way cute too.)

Speaking of monkeys, I currently have some hanging around the house right now!

You know how monkeys always seem to be scratching? Perhaps they are allergic to alpaca. Like me.

Last night I wore the almost-knee-high Beaded Rib Socks out to dinner with my roommate at Mill, the most excellent Korean restaurant I know of in the city. (Actually it is the only Korean restaurant I know of in upper Manhattan, and, though I don't live there now, I used to live on the Upper West Side practically around the block from the reataurant.) The were very warm... and very itchy. I had even work stockings (tights) on underneath them to try to quell the sensation, to no avail. But here's the kicker - when I got home I was sitting on the couch playing with Mary when I leaned down towards the floor, and it felt like my throat was going to close up. And I instantly (within 3 minutes) had a pounding headache. Yeah. I don't remember it being this bad when I was knitting them. Regardless, I can't keep them. Whatever they are made of I am massively allergic to. (The alpaca claim is unsubstantiated but for the fact that I have had a similar reaction to KnitPicks Alpaca Cloud; however, I also have a similar reaction to mohair...) It was so unspeakably unpleasant. Merry Christmas roomie! Luckily she wears almost the same size shoes as me.

Let's try this again. Speaking of monkeys...

Once upon a time there was a little innocuous ball of yarn. The ball was sad because it wasn't a sock. (A pair of socks, actually, but the ball of yarn was not very bright, as it was yarn and could not count or reason or do anything of the sort.)

I'm so sad. I wish I were a sock.

The little ball of yarn sighed and sighed and soon the knitter took pity and cast on for a sock...

Monkey Sock pattern by the talented Cookie.
To be found in Knitty Winter 2006.


And suddenly, as though Emeril had wandered into the neighborhood, BAM! There was a sock!

In Cherry Tree Hill, Blues and Purples.

And it was good.

Love the Monkey pattern!

The inspiration to try out Monkey was due to Opal - thanks Opal! Her Monkeys are looking pretty gorgeous (and I covet the Black Purl. Covet it.) I actually have finished the first and am on the first pattern repeat past the cuff on the second. Did somebody say this pattern was addictive? I'll agree. And that is only doing a few rows here and a few rows there. Since last Wednesday! It is pretty easy to memorize after a few repeats, and I can knit it with merely a glance at the stitch pattern before each row to remind myself where I am. The bias stitch pattern does a great job of breaking up the stripes that I dislike so much.

Oh yes, there is one more monkey:

Sometimes I talk like a monkey, just ask my mommy.

It's true.

11 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are amazingly gorgeous!!! I absolutely love them!! Great job. You are very talented.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger schrodinger said...

So sorry to hear about your alpaca allergy, that really sucks :(

The monkey socks are looking fantastic though :)

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the Beaded Rib allergy. Bet you have one happy roommate on your hands though!

Your Monkey socks are gorgeous! What a wonderful consolation prize!

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about socks - you really put time and skill into them! But you are fighter , right? And new will be even better! Keep on knitting!
P.S. Didi you get e-mail?

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Veronique said...

Allergic to alpaca?! Nooooooo! Well, good thing there's plenty of yarn choices out there. Your new socks are looking good!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Leah said...

Wow! They look fantastic! Great yarn choice for the pattern.

So sorry about your alpaca allerfy! I think Monkey is a good consolation though!

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awful to be that allergic to your sock! The mokey socks look very interesting. the will look beautiful when they are done and the ball of yarn will be sad no more!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

OMG I totally watched the Monkees in the 80's! I would take the Last Train to Clarksville to see them, I'm a total DayDream Believer and wish I had a friend like Valerie...so cheer up sleepy Jean, I'm sorry about your allergy...but your new rockin' Monkey aught to give you a Pleasant Valley Sunday huh?
Hey hey I'm pathetic...:)

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee... not that I generally like thriving on other people's misfortune, but yeah, I am one happy roomie! I promise not to stick my feet in your face...

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

Oh no, itchy socks would be too difficult to bear. But the monkey socks are looking good.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

that sock is beautiful! I love the color with that pattern - it does break up that striping wonderfully!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home