1.28.2007

Great Performances

More later, but three quick things for now:

1. I am in the processing of revamping the look of the blog. Bear with me as I make changes ove the next few days (or weeks...) And please let me know if something looks crazy to you. I surf with Firefox, so I don't know how things will look on other browsers...

2. The abridged English language version of The Magic Flute wil be playing on PBS this afternoon at 2:30pm if you are in the NYC area (WNET 13). If you're not in NYC check your listings - it may be playing again in your area too. (The name of the program to search for is "Great Performances at the Met".) This is the production that was broadcast in HD to movie theaters all over the country and select countries around the world this past December - the first of its kind. It's very short - about 90 minutes of singing, plus one intermission with features; it's in English, and it is an adaptation of last years new (unabridged and in the original German) Die Zauberflöte production by Julie Taymore. Julie Taymore is the brains behind the artistic design of The Lion King on Broadway, and The Magic Flute has that same magic. It is brilliant, and Nathan Gunn is adorable. Do check it out, or tape it and watch it later. It's well worth it.

3. I promised a video clip of the cutest tenor around a few posts ago, so here you go! No, not Nathan Gunn, he a baritone sillies! I am talking about Juan Diego Florez in Royal Opera House's brand new production of La Fille Du Regiment! (Don't worry opera fans, this production is coming to the met next year!) I listened to the broadcast last night and both he and Natalie Dessay are brilliant. (It may play again, let me know if you are interested and I can find out.) Check out this (short) news story video about the new production. I dare you to tell me you don't think he is the cutest opera singer in lederhosen! If the link doesn't work just navigate to this link:

http://www.channel4.com/player/v2/player.jsp?showId=4237

Enjoy!

3 Comments:

At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Different! And I'm highly amused by seeing my office building every time I read your blog... I'm third from the right, the building that looks like some huge kid came along and made the top out of lego blocks...

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Veronique said...

Oh, I love blog design changes! It's looking very nice right now.
And I can't believe that Die Zauberflote has been translated to english: is that even allowed? Opera was the only reason I ever wanted to learn foreign languages!

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will Florez sing Pour Mon Ame at Carnegie Hall on March 10? A girl can dream, can't she??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home