11.19.2006

Meet Salina

Or, Seaming is Really, Really Hard

I finished! I finished! After many, many, many hours of seaming, sewing, and suffering, I have finished Salina! Seriously, it was hours of finishing. Hours. And I actually don't have buttons yet (but I totally could wear it without buttons). So without further ado, I present her:


Ignore the riding up at the bottom - I think I was standing funny. It's really hard to take a photo of yourself, even with a self-timer. And, it is dark outside. My overall impression? I love it.

Seed stitch collar love.

On with the Specs:
Yarn: Aracaunia Nature Wool in color 36 (a kind of variagated blue jeans), about 5 hanks (240 yds ea) I think (but with considerable left-over)
Needles: US size 4 KnitPicks Options circular needles and US size 3 Clover wooden circulars
Size: Small - to fit 34" bust
Started: 12 September 2006
Finished: 19 November 2006
Mods: Crazy mods (for me). The yarn I used had a different row gauge than the pattern, which meant recalculating everything that had to do with length. The sleeves were way too wide, so I used the shaping instructions from the Equestrian Blazer from IK Winter 2006 (except the final number of stitches to bind off). In addition, I added 2 inches to the sleeves.

Nice shoulder seam.

Even though I added the length to the sleeves, I still ended up with "bracelet-length" (7/8) sleeves. What is up with my monkey arms? Oh, and I did a Google search for other Salinas? Seems there are tons out there. Makes me kind of wish I had used a tweedy yarn. Check out Fluffa!'s excellent version (as always). And while you're there, check out her arms. She doesn't have monkey arms. (Grrr...grrr...grrr...) Also, I feel that the sizing is a little bit big. I made the second smallest size, which matches my bust size exactly, and there is definately extra room, although I'm pretty sure the smallest would not fit at all.

I have to say that pain-in-the-rear that the seaming was, it was kind of meditative, especially when I was sick. And boy have I been sick.

Inside of the sleeve where the cuff is sewn on.

But I do love it. Bring on the next sweater!

4 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salina turned out GREAT! REALLY GREAT! And it looks sooo great on you! Just keep on knitting sweaters like that!

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Salina looks wonderful! You look gorgeous in it! Oh happy dance for you!

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger 安淋 - Kessa said...

Its beautiful! Your Salina is actually the first one I saw that I like (other than the one in the book, but thats another story)

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger schrodinger said...

Fantastic. It looks so great on you. Love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home