9.24.2006

I Give Up

After struggling with it for so long I gave up on the Mystery Stole 2. I realized that I hated knitting it - hated hated the lack of motifs, hated having to look at the chart every 30 seconds, and most of all, hated screwing it up. I thought, why make a thing, especially a thing that takes so long to make, if you are not going to enjoy the process? Don't get me wrong, I love the pattern, and there are some beautiful ones out there that have been long completed, but it just isn't for me. So, this afternoon MS2 was laid to rest and her reincarnation has begun the the form of the Swallowtail Shawl:



I have to say that I found the first 7 rows of this pattern to be extremely fiddly. Now that I am into the body of the shawl, however, I believe it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

Speaking of IK Fall 2006, I must have this. Does anyone know of an economical substitution for the Rowan Cashsoft DK called for in the pattern? It is luscious I'm sure, but I definately cannot justify buying 10 balls of the stuff. Knitted on size 3 and 4 needles. Sigh. When am I going to learn?

Progess has been made on both pairs of socks, Oriel and CFS, and each is approximately 4" long now. They are in a race, but I am almost sure that CFS will win, being knit form the luscious Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock. The new and improved Granmother Purl square has been started, but now I am concerned it will be too big. I won't know until I get into the thick of it, which means I may be wasting several more hours of my life. And the second side of Backyard Leaves, the scarf for my ISE pal, has been begun. I will have quite a bit of "dead time" at my job during the next three days, so I am hoping I can finish that one up this week. The big question of the day is, which pattern do I bring with me tomorrow?

3 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee... ok, so now I feel much better about never even finishing the gauge swatch for the Mystery Stole! You can have your needles back... *grin* But the little embryo socks are adorable, and the swallowtail looks like it's going to be beautiful.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger opportunityknits said...

The swallowtail is a lovely shawl, on my wish list too. I found this knitter's explanation for a simpler way to start this shawl - see her Aug 17 post titled "diverted" http://ma2ut.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_ma2ut_archive.html
But you've got it going already, so you probably don't need it.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I just love the swallowtail shawl - and the color you have chosen. I'll be watching for your progress!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home