9.18.2007

Yet Another Duster Dilemma

I was going to take some more photos of the Beaverslide, but I keep getting home after the sun has set. I did finish la manica seconda today, knit to the same length as the first one, because I know that I am going to have extra yarn and I can always rip back later.

I also continued on the skirt, which I started yesterday, I think. Man, two by two ribbing takes a friggin' long time to knit, even at a gauge of four stitches to the inch. Twenty rows down, sixty more to go.

2007-09_18_four_inches.jpg

I also have another little problem with this project though:

2007-09_18_full.jpg

This is called poor planing. Those are wooden needles, my friends, despite the fact that the rest of the sweater was knit on aluminum needles. In addition, they are size 7 needles, despite the fact that the rest of the sweater is knit on size 8. Those two facts, in an of themselves, are not a problem per se. The problem is that they are size 7 wooden needles with a 16" cable. There is no way that 234 stitches are going to fit on the cable of these needles. (Incidentally, I did not choose to use size 7 wooden circs for the skirt of this project, they choose me. They were the only size I had that were even close to size. Whoops!)

There are several options:
1. KnitPicks Options (but which, the metal ones or the new pretty wooden ones? I am a sucker for pretty, but I generally like metal better (except for some lace). Whole set? Single longer cable and set of tips? I've wanted some more of these for a while, but it would mean waiting, and probably spending mroe money in the short run too.
2. Run to the closest store and buy whatever size 7 wooden circs (longer than 16" of course) that they have. Instant gratification, but pricier in the long run (probably) on a needle I may never (or very rarely) use again (big size + long length = dust collector).

In the meantime I did not swatch with the Beaverslide, even though I wanted to very very much. I am thinking maybe of this sweater. Or maybe this one. Or this one. What do you think?

5 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger Veronique said...

I have the Mrs. Darcy cardi in my queue too! But I have to say that I prefer the Rowan sweater. That stitch pattern is so cute :)
I can't believe you started knitting on 16" needles!! Hee hee!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I love the Mrs. Darcy cardi! 16" needles? Yoiks!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger schrodinger said...

I've got to say that I would get the interchangeable needles, I find them to be extremely invaluable. Mrs. Darcy would be my choice too.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

I love the Mrs. Darcy too - so sweet. Personally,I would probably run get the needles at a nearby store only because I am all about immediate gratification, especially mid project...I don't have a lot of patience.:)

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Go buy more size circs. End of story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home