8.25.2007

Solo una classe più...

I used to dread language class in high school, but not because I wasn't good at it. In fact, I actually was quite good at it, it came easily and with very little studying, which is a good thing since I didn't study, favoring instead science and math classes. No, I dreaded it mostly because I never knew what I didn't know and so lived in a perpetual state of unknowing. Now I do know what I don't know, and even on those weeks when I study very little, or not at all (I'm so bad, I know), I really really enjoy going to class and getting pummeled by Gianna, our teacher. Thank you Gianna!

La settimana prossima è la classe ultima. I never would have thought I would be sad to see it end! Luckily a new session starts in a few weeks time, and I think I am more than willing to pony up the money and sign on for another round. I hope I get Gianna again (really, she is lovely and fun and a great teacher), but either way I'm hoping to enjoy it.

Allora, I finished this when I got back from the city!


It's been rather difficult to get anything done between work and my family visiting, but there you have it. (Oh, didn't I mention that my family was visiting?)


I'm calling it a success, though it doesn't really fit me and I modifed it a bit (as far as I can tell!) On with the...

Project Specs:
Pattern: Floppy-Brim Hat from Heart Warming Life Series, April 2007
Yarn: Lily Sugar 'n Cream Crochet Cotton (try to ignore the website design) in cream, 2 balls (102 yds/ 6oz)
Needles: Size G (4mm) Boye crochet hook (metal)
Size: one size fits all (sort of)
Started: 18 August 2007
Finished: 25 August 2007


Pattern Mods: I left off the last pattern repeat of the main part of the hat (3 rows) because as I was crocheting it seems be be growing rather huge and I thought it would end up giant if I continued (and I think I thought right). I also increased only half as many stitches (10 instead of 5) on every increase row on the brim except rows 26 and 28 (5 stitches each) because I not once but twice misread the chart - this was not a fault of the pattern but my own stupid inability to pay attention. I stopped after row 28 because, again, it seemed to be getting too large. I crocheted the brim in a spiral instead of in rows, because there seemed to be no reason to have that seam up the brim given that all the rows of the brim were single crochet!!! The fabric on the brim has a slight tendancy to bias, but it isn't too bad. As a result of all these modifications I ended up with a bucket or cloche-style hat, as opposed to the floppy-brim one in the book, and is a tad big for my pin head. No worries though, I know someone it will probably fit nicely. (The current size would be good if I were concerned about crushing my hair, too, but it's just a tad loose for my liking.) Next time (I'm sure there will be one) I'll try it in a thinner yarn (worsted instead of bulky? DK instead of worsted? It's unclear what the gauge of this yarn is). I'll also use a nicer quality yarn I think (organic?) and slightly smaller hook, and I might try to add some sort of embellishment, either the one in the book or another.

On my way home I also decided to pop into my LYS and it's quite a surprise to me at least that I haven't gone in before now. I only looked around a little bit, I was carrying a heavy bag, but they seemed to have a good selection of a bunch of brands and the staff there was really nice. My credit card slipped, and this is what happened:

Pagewood Farm Hand Dyed Sock Yarn (Superwash) in Golden Yellow.

I needed another skein of sock yarn like I need a hole in the head. I'm not a yellow person, but don't you just want to drink it up? I was thinking maybe of these. The gal at the shop even wound the yarn up for me into that lovely little cake. Man, I need to get a swift and ball-winder duo. :)

But that's not all. These jumped into my hands as well:

Front: Rowan Yorkshire Twees 4ply in color 269; Back: Berroco Pure Merino in color 8522.

I saw the Rowan and just had to buy it. I had to know what all the fuss was about. OMG, what beautiful yarn!! The Berroco is a nice, 100% merino, worsted weight (very soft!) in a deep plum (the photo doesn't do it justice.) These little babies will be sacrificed to the swatch gods - now I only hope I can decide on some delicious fall sweater patterns!

5 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger peaknits said...

The sock yarn especially caught my eye - I think it appeals to my senses, I do want to drink it up! The sock pattern you ar considering is gorgeous too!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Tanti auguri per aver finito la classe!!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger schrodinger said...

Love the hat. And that sock yarn is beautiful!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Darling hat.

I'm so glad you found such a great yarn store! You got yourself some lovely yarns there!

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guarda, ahi, guarda! Che bella! Yes, the hat is tres cute...

And hey, give my love to your family! Tell them y'all should come visit me next. *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home