9.09.2007

No Self Control



I obviously have no self control. Also, that is a swatch you see there, a very rare and mytical beast around these parts, but one which has been reportedly spotted with increasing regularity, which begs the question: have I changed my impatient ways? (Answer: no.)

I cast on for the Tilted Duster from the Fall 2007 IK. I really do love the way it looks in the magazine photos, but I'm having all kinds of issues.

The Good:

I cast on for the 36", which should provide 0" of ease. And I got gauge, perfect gauge, on the first try, if you can believe that. I did go down 2 needle sizes, as I usually go down 1-2 sizes with socks all the time, and what a lucky estimation that was! The back and two fronts are done, and casually blocking out on the porch, and seem to be the correct size, as I followed the pattern exactly. The two halves even match each other.

The Bad:

The arm holes seem giant. I know it is an "outerwear" piece, but the total length along the armhole edge is longer than that of my wool peacoat. My store-bought wool peacoat, which I love and which came from Anne Taylor Loft last year and which is only a size 4 and yet still is a bit too big around for me in the chest area as I am somewhat deficient in this area of the anatomy.

The Quandry:

The pieces are drying right now. As soon as they are done I am going to pin them together and have a big decision to make. To frog (and reknit) or not to frog? I don't believe that the armholes are going to be that much smaller in the smallest size, and then what if the chest circumference is then too small? But, I think I am going to at least reknit the back after seeing this excellent version with the associated modifications to make a more fitted back. I hadn't thought about it before, but I definitely like the fitted look much more. I hate thinking about all the "wasted" time spent knitting the pieces too big, yet not wasted if ultimately I get a better product. Ug.

It has not escaped my notice that I probably could have finished one or more of my already-started projects in the time I have spent on this already.

3 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Not being a sweater knitter, I'm not sure what advice I can offer. Except I don't consider knitting time a waste. I'm all about the process, if you had a good time then there was no waste involved. Whatever you decide, I hope we can eventually see a modeled shot of the finished sweater!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I feel your pain as I am forever agonizing over such matters1

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger schrodinger said...

None of that can be taken lightly when you consider how long it will take to knit it. I'm one more simple knitted sweaters, so I wouldn't be much help unfortunately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home