8.06.2007

Not Feeling the Love

But first, Peaknit you have made my day. I didn't get to go to Kinokuniya, that mecca of Japanese crafting books (and Japanese books in general), before I left New York, and I was really disappointed. There is a giant branch in Rockefeller Center, and the one time I made a trip specifically down there to check it out it was closed. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to buy Japanese craft books (which are inordinately adorable) sight-unseen via the Internet. But wait! Stacey has informed me that there are Kinokuniya on the West Coast! Several of them! There is one in SF!! Next question: How do I get to Webster St.? Why I did not think of this I do not know. But this I do know: I am so there.

On to the love-deficit:


That's how I feel about my lace right now. I want to crumple it in a ball and throw it in a corner. There are 180 or so stitches per row, and every 2-4 rows I find a mistake that requires me to unknit the last two rows (of 180 or so stitches) I have just knitted. I am on row 184 now. But soon I will be on row 182, because I have discovered three extra stitches in one of the pattern repeats, and I can't magick them away with a little stitch rearrangement or creative needlework. There are too many extra stitches over two rows - too much extra yarn. A tinking we will go.

This really sucks.

I have started to hate this project. I think I might have to put it away for a while lest I really do bunch it up in a ball and throw it away. There's no perceptable progress from day to day, and the rows grow ever longer, and will continue to grow longer until row 242 (can you believe that?), at which point the pattern reverses and starts decreasing. That's right folk, the main body has over 400 rows (418 to be exact). I am not even halfway there are I want to quite. Don't get me started on the sides. Or the edging. It's enough to make a person stop knitting. Or blogging. There are so many talented people out there, and I feel like I am slogging along at a snails pace, making stupid mistakes, and haven't had anything interesting to write about for weeks. How do you guys do it? I am so inspired by your beautiful projects, but at the same time they make me want to quit. Like the title says, not feeling the (lace) love.

I do feel the love from everyone who wished me well after my little, ahem, incident. Thanks you guys! I am feeling much better. The giant bruise on my rump is mercifully hidden from the light of day (it's pretty gnarly looking and getting more colorful by the day).

I also get a lot of kitty love:

Io sono molto dulce.

5 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I find lace knitting incredibly frustrating as well and am forever tinking--ugh.

I am not surprised to discover that you can satisfy your Japanese crafting mania in California, go for it!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I feel your pain when it comes to lace. Put it in the time-out corner and give yourself some space. It might be a good idea to cast on some simple socks. Something soothing and easy to just while away the time so you can actually see some progress in a project. And apply liberal amounts of kitty love to your lovelorn fingers. :)

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Yay! So glad I made your day - I must put it on my to do list to get to one of these one day - the clerk was so sweet. I am just inspired by the pictures since I can't read a bit of it!:) Sorry to hear about your lace - I have been there and it drives me just short of drinking, sometimes you just need to say "uncle" and take a break before it becomes a quest:) Take care and good luck with doggone lace - nice kitty!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Leah said...

Sorry about your lace but it is good to hear you can get your J-craft book fix on in Cali!!!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger schrodinger said...

Lace knitting can be a complet pita! I totally understand your frustration - I only really like it when I'm knitting with fingering or heavier gauge yarn, or if it's an easy repeat I can memorize - otherwise I feel like stabbing my eyes out with the needles. Glad you've discovered your japanese crafting needs will be met in SF.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home