2.19.2007

Obsession

Question: Can one knit a toe with six grams of yarn?

Teeny ball of yarn.

Answer: Hell yeah.

Teenier ball of yarn.

Question: Can Carrie finish a pair of socks in four days?

Answer: Hell no.

Here's the story. I cast on for Pomatomus on Friday after struggling with the Scottish Highlands over and over. The yarn is the Claudia Hand Painted Stormy Days from a few posts ago. (Sorry Jennie! I have never actually used Koigu, though I don't doubt that they are very similar, although the color is most accurately portrayed in the original post.) The only reason I decided to make this pattern right this second (aside from Opal's influence!) was that I had wound one of the skeins of the Claudia yarn into a ball a few days ago. No other sock yarn was wound and I was antsy. Pomatomus it was.

I worked on the sock a bit on Saturday. Then I read through the pattern. I mean really read through the pattern. No skimming, as I am wont to do. The pattern calls for Shelridge Farm Soft Touch Ultra Fingerling weight wool, which comes in skeins of 194 yards each. I dug through my bin of skein wrappers and found the one for the Claudia Hand Painted. One-hundred seventy-five yards. Nineteen yards difference. Almost 60 feet. That's a pretty fair difference.

The race was on. I had to know if I would have enough yarn. Suffice to say I spent a lot of time knitting a sock this weekend. I am not duplicating the effort to set some sort of crazy land speed knitting record. Not that I would likely break any records anyway. (Besides, my hands and wrists hurt now. Ow.)

I got lucky people. Really really lucky. I considered making the legs shorter to be safe, but threw caution to the wind and went for the full three pattern repeats whole hog. I weighed the yarn ball as I went along and was pretty sure I would have enough. I only hope I can get the same mileage out of the second skein. There's something like one gram left of the first ball.

ETA: I should probably note that I have relatively small feet, US size 7 1/2, and slightly narrow. Also, I knit the socks on US size 0 needles. Your mileage may vary.

In other news, something came in the mail for me this weekend:

This package is from somewhere called Republika Hrvatska... :)

Customs deems it "Ocarinjeno".

Hooray!

Sandra promised me some Croatian music and sent a few cool goodies along with it! You can see in the photo a cute tissue package (with some tissues!), lovely sewn heart, and a little skein of "Adamo and Eva". I wonder what I can make with it? Thank you Sandra! I Haven't listened to the CDs yet, but I will let you know what my impression is when I do! And in the meantime I shall have to scrounge around to see what I can reciprocate.... :)

8 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Blogger schrodinger said...

Unbelievable! I'm totally impressed that you managed to have enough to knit the toe.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Anushka said...

That sock is beautiful.

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the socks! And that coloure is honey-yummy!
Glad parcell has arrived! Enjoy the music!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Beautiful sock! I'm glad you had enough yarn to finish it. The toe does look a bit pointy, but I think that's because you went down to size 0's.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Great job on getting the sock done with a wee ball to spare:) Pretty! I did it, started that Monkey - couldn't help myself!! Great parcel - I love having swaps with Sandra!!

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the socks in this post, and the purple ones too!!! i want to go and make some now.
i love free patterns.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Jo said...

I would have been afraid at that point and constantly eyeing the ball and calculating how many rows I had left... kudos to you :)

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Ginny said...

Dude. You just totally saved me.

I was going to cast on for the Monkey socks with some Claudia's and US1s. The Monkey pattern also calls for the Shelridge Farm yarn.

I have size 10 feet, and I don't think I can stretch the Claudia's that far for the foot.

Oh well. I'll find another pattern for the Claudia's and plan to do the Monkey pattern in something else. I think Lorna's might have more yardage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home