2.12.2007

More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys





Project Specs:
Pattern: Monkey Socks by Cookie A. from Knitty Winter 2006
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill Supersock (100% superwash merino) in Blues/Purples
Needles: 5 US size 0 (2 mm) metal dpns
Size: CO 64 stitches to fit a slightly narrow US size 7 1/2 foot
Started: 31 January 2007
Finished: 13 January 2007
Pattern Mods: Worked 1 1/2 inches of twisted rib at the cuffs instead of 1 inch.

Did anyone else notice that the legs of the Monkeys pictured in Knitty have seven pattern repeats, rather than the six as described in the pattern? I started out with 4 oz (= 113.4 g) of yarn and ended up with 22 g left over. Considering that I had approximately 1/5 of the yarn left over I'm sure I could have managed at least an additional pattern repeat, plus a longer cuff. Oh, well!

There is almost no pooling with these socks (almost - you can see the weird splotch of red that shows up in both, though in a slightly different spot). Still, the pattern breaks up the horizontal stripes, and I love the way the motif flows from the center outward, or from the outside in, depending on your perspective. I definitely would make these again. But for now... what next?

Lesson learned: Socks can be knitted in 2 weeks with just a little bit of dedication. Opal you beat me to the punch!

Tomorrow: Eugene Onegin!

6 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger schrodinger said...

They look great!! I love those socks (and I really didn't the first time I saw the pattern on knitty).

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger southern gal said...

Renee and Dimtri on a COLD SNOWY NIGHT - what perfect weather for Eugene Onegin - OH YOU LUCKY THING!

I will be listening raptly and knitting on one of my WIPs all snug in my little study next to the warmth of the internets!

Opening night was WHITE HOT! Have a grand time! (Wear your fur and boots and feel like a Russian!)

Am trying to get a ticket...

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Leah said...

I love your monkey socks! They turned out just lovely!!!

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both socks and scarf (two posts ago - sorrrrrry!!!!) are great!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Your monkeys are gorgeous. I wouldn't say that I beat you to the punch. It's more like we broke even. :-)

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Ohh the socks look amazing! These are the next on my list. I really think they look much nicer in your picture than they do on knitty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home