12.15.2006

Women Are Fickle

Before I get to the knitting content (Yes! There is knitting content!) another page in my busy entertainment calendar has turned:

Don Carlo, Opera in five acts.

Yes, another star-studded evening was spent in the Family Circle of the Metropolitan Opera. Can you see the time listed dear people? I entreat you to click on the photo to make it bigger. Go ahead. I dare you.

Yes, Don Carlo, one of the great masterpieces of Verdi, is nearly five hours long. Including the travel time I spent as much time at the opera as I did at work yesterday (and time more enjoyably spent, I can assure you!) Yet the hours flew by as though mere minutes, that's how good it was. You actually have heard music from this one too. Don't believe me? Have a listen to the famous "oath duet", 'Dio, che nell'alma infondere'. (It's short - it's an Amazon clip.) See, I told you so.

This opera featured one of the most celebrated casts that I have ever seen to date: Patricia Racette, Olga Borodina, Johan Botha, Rene Pape, (stars every one of them) and this man:



Just press play.

Dmitri Hvorostovsky sings Rodrigo's famous death aria from Don Carlo (swoon). He's fifteen years older now and with striking silver hair (click the link!) but he's still got the goods. The Marquis du Posa never looked (or sounded) so good. And the best part - I get to see him again in Eugene Onegin in February... From bel canto tenor to dramatic Verdi baritone - I just can't help myself!

OK, ok, knitting. Well, I blocked the back of the Embellished V-neck and look what happened:


It's a liiiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit small. If I continue to knit at the same gauge it will have like three inches less ease than Salina. Hmmm. Now, Salina is a bit big, but I'm not sure if she's that big. (Length looks good though.) Sandra, clearly you had your fingers crossed too hard. Have I learned my lesson? No. I am forging ahead and knitting the front less tightly. Wish me luck, and be ready to send beaucoup tissues when it doesn't work out...

3 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger peaknits said...

Waaa, I admire your patience, I would be screaming!! I will say a little prayer for you and your gorgeous sweater!

I might be able to hook you up with some buttons for Flora if you're interested:) I am a recovering quilter - so have lots of big old buttons, oh and reformed scrapbooker so I have some from that venture as well...

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Good luck with the front of your sweater!

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for hard crossing! But after you finish fronts and if is too tight, then do my trick - just knit two ribbons, sew them between back and fronts and voila - it is letted out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home