1.24.2010

Not Very Sporting

Well it wasn't very sporting of me to poke my head up in here last Friday and then disappear again without a trace for over a week was it? I'm not sure if anyone is even still stopping by periodically to see if I have rematerialized, but if so, hi! I'm back, and with a vengeance.

I started back knitting after a nearly year long hiatus right before Christmas (of course). This year ended up being the Year of the Hat (last year was the Year of the Scarf), but sadly I don't have photos to show yet (and even more sadly, the presents are still sitting on my kitchen butcher block waiting for me to finish one final item so that I can send them off...) A lot of other handknits have been finished, started, or frogged in the meantime though, so in order to keep things interesting and maybe persuade me to post more than once a week let's focus on one at a time.

This is my newest love:

2010-01-13_argyle_new_colors.jpg

That's Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift 2ply and oh my do I love this yarn. The skeins are tiny (25g!) and expensive, but the colors are lovely. I bought a bunch of Jamieson's at the local yarn establishment and started swatching, swatching, swatching...

2010-01-14_argyle5.jpg

2010-01-14_argyle4.jpg

2010-01-14_argyle3.jpg

Though I love all three swatches the winner was this last one, Moorgrass (green) and Sand (very light pink) on a field of Peat (dark red-brown). And you can see I have some rather argyl-ly intentions. At first I was only going to use two colors. This morphed into wanted to use three colors, which led to careful swatching of the three color combinations. I am back to thinking about two colors (in this case, the Moorgrass and Peat) because I'm trying to decide if I want to add some other design element to the piece. You never know though, I'm fickle. I might change my mind back.

At any rate, I cast on yesterday and knit and knit and knit...

2010-01-24_le_lapin_noir_ribbing.jpg

This was after only three inches, but I'm up to seven now. The ribbing is knitted on the unbelievably tiny US size 00 needles and the unbelievable gauge of 32 stitches and 40 rows per 4" square over stockinette.

Do you want to know the craziest thing? I am loving the tiny needles and the tiny stitches and the tiny gauge.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Southern Gal said...

yeah! welcome back! looking forward to your small needle adventures - that wool is to die for!

ps you aren't the only one with presents not finished/delivered yet! ;o

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Great you are back to knitting! And that yarn look so posh!
I am also big fan of tiny needles!
BTW, what are you knitting?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home