2.16.2009

Self-Sufficient

It occurred to me a few days ago that if one can make one's own pudding (which this one does, and it is lovely), then one should also be able to make one's own hot chocolate. A brief net dive was all it took.

2009-02-15_hot_chocolate.jpg

Admittedly, this is not the perfect cup of hot chocolate. (In fact it is not hot chocolate at all, but in fact is hot cocoa. Homemade hot chocolate would rank up there with ambrosia as one of the foods of the gods, but rather more time consuming. This is as near to instant as you an get without adding unpronounceable chemicals to your mix.) It would be made perfect by the addition of whipped cream, which, sadly, my refrigerator is devoid of at the present time. I don't even have any heavy cream, with which I could just whip up (ha ha) a batch. But nevermind.

Two things:

  • You can mix up your very own hot cocoa mix with unsweetened baking cocoa, sugar (or artificial sweetener - I used baking Splenda in solidarity with my aunt who needs to avoid sugar), and a bit of salt. The salt is important, don't leave it out.

  • The secret ingredient is cayenne.

  • I's possible that everyone knows this already and I'm the very last person to find out, but just in case, there you have it. I've been putting a dash of cayenne in my chocolate pudding for some time now and thought, "what the heck?" It adds warmth but not a lot of heat (unless you go crazy) and gives it an extra special little something. Be free friends, from the shackles of commercial hot cocoa mixes! It's better, and cheaper, this way.

    Speaking of divine...

    2009-02-16_that_old_black_magic.jpg

    Why is it so darned hard to photograph purples? The first quarter is nearly complete.

    4 Comments:

    At 11:57 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

    Once I totaly ruined little pot I was making hot chocholate in! Did it give me a lesson? NO! Soon after I ruined another one! And I am still hoping one of these days I am gonna make one without side effects!

     
    At 5:34 AM, Blogger Dave said...

    Chocolate and yarn/spinning -- my two favourite things in the world.

    That purple stuff is look gaw-juss!!

     
    At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If you want a really wonderful hot chocolate, try this recipe:

    http://orangette.blogspot.com/2008/01/from-this-day-forth.html

    No cayenne, but it's super good, my favorite.

     
    At 12:12 PM, Blogger Opal said...

    what a perfect little post. hot cocoa and fiber. your handspun is lookin' awesome. :)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home