5.19.2008

Go Kristi Go!

She rocked the house tonight baby! I wasn't quite sure she had that extra crowd-pleasing sparkle, but boy oh boy she delivered in spades. She deserves to win. And speaking of delivering in spades, I meant to post this last week but completely forgot:


These are the 13-year-olds from the space-filler they are using this year called DWTS Kids (or something, I don't really pay attention). Anyway, the other ones were cute (wee little dancers, how can they not be cute?) but these two. OH. MY. GOD.  They are 13. THIRTEEN. I dare you not to be impressed. I wish I could dance like that, and I have been dancing a long time. Come to think of it, I have ben dancing longer than they have been alive. (Sigh. Ok, going to go sit by myself in a corner now.)

The Return of Absorba

Guess what? Absorba, she is finished! Fini! I finished block 17 a few nights ago (and barely made it out alive - it was around 95 degrees in here), and realized that, though I still had some yardage left on the cones, I did not know exactly how much yardage I had left, nor did I know how much yardage it would take to to the sc edging, and I really really didn't want to make it halfway through another block only to run out of cotton and have to rip. So I present to you Absorba, the Bathmat:

2008-05-18_absorba_fini2.jpg

More photos over on Ravelry. Suffice it to say that since my bathroom gets four minutes of actual direct sunlight per day (I am not exaggerating) nothing photographs that well in there and this is about as good as it gets. 

Project Specs:
Pattern: Absorba, the Great Bathmat by Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne from Mason-Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Lily Sugar'n Cream Solid in Cream, 2 cones (805 yds/16oz)
Needles: size 10 circulars
Size: 26"x33"
Started: August 2006
Finished: 18 May 2008
Pattern mods: None, save that I worked "random" blocks rather than regularly sized ones, and finished with a single crochet edge.

I am mortified and humiliated that it took me nearly two years to finish this. My avant-garde white-on-white (actually cream-on-cream) isn't quite as striking as I had hoped, but it serves a purpose and it does it well. I used it for the first time yesterday and it worked rather like... a bathmat. I even machine washed and dried it, and it was none the worse for wear. Note, however, that I will never buy cheap-ass kitchen cotton ever again. Never. Ever. Do not even tempt me with sales. Knitting with it was pure hell. I shall seek out some lovely organic worsted weight the next time the urge strikes, because this was too much like torture.

I have also realized that the last thing I finished was Mrs. Darcy. In October. That was seven months ago. Entrelac Scarf doesn't qualify, and neither does the TD (Rav links, because I am lazy) because none of those is actually technically finished, though I will work hard to remedy that soon.  (Entrelac Scarf was mostly done back in October too, so that hardly helps. And the TD situation - well that's just ridiculous.) Can anyone say "lame"?

I did put on one more pattern repeat onto my Jeanie Scarf while watching DWTS, or rather, during the commercials of DWTS, so there's a small success. I had planned to whip this one out during March Madness, but alas, it was not to be. My mother's birthday is in about a week - maybe I can finish in time for that?


1 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Opal said...

Absorba is gorgeous! It was well worth the wait. :) I do understand the agony of knitting with kitchen cotton. It's hell on the hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home