11.09.2008

It's November 9th... Do You Know Where Your Handmade Holiday Is?

The elections are over, and thank heavens for that! The palpitations may now cease. I am looking forward to an increase in civility from our elected officials and news reporters, at least, as much as can be expected from elected officials and news reporters.

The very next day, November 5th (as far as I can remember), someone (who of course I cannot remember because it was four days ago and what do you expect from me?) wrote that it was 50 days until Christmas. 

Fifty Days Until Christmas.

This of course gave me palpitations anew, because once, just once, I would like to have a homemade holiday. This year is as good a year as any, especially given that all possible spare pennies, nickels, and dimes, are going into the House Fund. I have oodles of skeins of yarn, really too many given that I have not knitted a stitch (other than the slow startup again on the Mediterranean Lace shawl). Instead of jumping headfirst into NaKniSweMo, which believe you me I actually was tempted to do and actually swatched for a project (good thing I did not get close to gauge, eh?), I have declared that this is the Year of the Scarf. And other small knitted outerwears. 

It is true that I declared last year the Year of the Scarf, but last year's year went bust after I did not end up gifted any scarves. I am nothing if not about recycling.

Here's proof I am serious this time:

2008-11_08_basketweave_scarf.jpg

It's a 2x2 basketweave (6 row pattern repeat) over 30 stitches, with the first stitch of every row slipped for a neater edge, knitted with Nature Spun worsted 100% wool in charcoal. I have turned into the craziest loosest knitter ever, so this is being done on size 4 clover bamboo needles. I'm almost done with the first skein, and am at about 32" right now. I expect that I might get 6' out of 2 skeins, before blocking. I didn't swatch, so I don't know what the yarn will do after a bath. Do you suppose that's long enough for a scarf?

I rather like this "mindless" knitting, as I can do other things while I'm working, like watching episodes of my favorite shows online. Oh thank you internet gods, for turning the television execs onto the internet revolution. Especially since I don't have to pay for cable to watch what I want to watch. Speaking of which, have you seen South Park's take on the election results? Who knew?

2008-11_08_basketweave_scarf_closeup.jpg

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger schrodinger said...

You've got to be kidding me! Christmas is that soon? Why did no-one tell me?!! ;)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Opal said...

No! I'm canceling Christmas this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home