6.05.2008

Crazy!

I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with me. There must be. I decided that today, after work, I would dig out My So Called Scarf and figure out why it has been languishing at 95% for 6 months or so (really). It was in a bag, in the closet, with several other items. Boy was I in for a surprise. But more on that another day.

Today is the day for the big Jeanie reveal! Except that I did the big reveal on the 1st and don't have any additional photos showcasing her, so if you want a reminder click on the link, since I don't hardly think it's very blog-friendly to post the same photos within the space of a week of each other.

Project Specs:
Pattern: Jeanie by Keri Williams from Knitty, Winter 2007
Yarn: YarnLust 100% Superwash Merino/Nylon in Huskies (400 yds/100g)
Needles: KnitPicks Options size 4 US (3.5mm) circular needle (24"), short stubby plastic 5" dpn size US 6 (4mm) to do the cables, and smooth aluminum (probably Susan Bates) 10" size 5 us (3.75mm) needles to do the edging. The pattern does not require this many needles, I just like to mix it up.
Finished Size: 6" x 67"
Started: 15 March 2006
Finished: 01 June 2008
Pattern mods: I only had one skein of fingerling weight yarn, but I wanted to make a scarf with a reversible pattern for my mother. I saw Jeanie on Knitty and loved it, so decided to try modifying it scarf-style. I simply knitted Chart A once, Chart B 3 times, and then Chart A once again. Knitted until I had only 10g of yarn left, enough to do the edging, or so I calculated (I was right - there was no crisis).

At first I thought my head was going to explode with all the ktbl and yo and make this stitch and drop that stitch complexities. I had to read the chart for nearly every. single. stitch. Until I finished the first pattern repeat and started on the second. It was like a light switched on in my head, everything made perfect sense, and I no longer had to read the chart at all! It was very intuitive, really. I also found it was a lot easier to drop the stitches you are instructed to drop every 12 rows on every row instead. This keeps the pattern repeats nicely separate and easily observable. Once I got into the flow of things I really enjoyed the pattern, twisting the stitches, dropping when appropriate, doing the little M1s.  It was kind of meditative.

That being said, I would not recommend doing the pattern as a scarf. I recommend the pattern as written whole heartedly. I think the large size of the stole is an advantage, and gravity assists in making the pattern really pop. With a scarf so skinny you don't get that - it still looks nice, just not wow, like the original. I think I might knit it again (rare for me!) but doing the full pattern this time, and letting the pattern really shine.

And now, to reward you for making it to the end of the post, I give you "Simon's Cat" in "Cat Man Do". Forgive me if I have posted this before, but I can't remember, and it's too funny not to share it. If you have a cat yourself you may bust a gut. I swear this is a knitting blog and not a cat blog. (Actually it is turning into a knitting/opera/cat/gardening blog. Oh well.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home