11.30.2008

Henley

I'm not sure how "perfected" it will be, but I'm giving it a go.

2008-11_30_henley.jpg

I truely do not understand yarn manufacturer's gauge recommendations at all. This is Araucania Nature Wool, which gives a gauge of 18 stitches and 24 rows per 4" on size 5 needles on the skein sleeve. While I can achieve that gauge I need to use size 8 needles (5mm) to do it, and the resulting fabric is pretty loosey-goosey. I am working it up on size 2 (!) (2.75mm) needles, and getting a gauge of 24 stitches and 30 rows per 4". I've washed and blocked (laid out) the fabric, and it is lovely. The stitches are nice and tight and even, but there still is a good deal of drape. It isn't difficult or painful to knit at all. I must be morphing into the world's loosest knitter.

I'm up to row 30 (after the purled turning row, which I did not count), just past the second set of decreases. I'm already regretting not doing a knitted-in hem, and am worrying over the sewing in of the hem. The needle I am using is a fairly short bamboo circular, so the knitted fabric is curling quite a bit, especially so since there is no slack in the cord. The yarn catches on the needle join as well, which is quite annoying - I might have to try the clear nail polish trick I read about somewhere. The decreases I'm doing as paired centered decreases (sl 2 as though to ktog, k, pass sl sts over) but am worrying too that this will make the sides untidy, because though I am knitting the body circular with no side seams, the paired decreases create sort of a raised "seam" anyway. I don't know if that will block out. I might take it off the needles in a bit and give it a soak to see what's what. I sure hope this 100% wool works out (see: all previous posts on how cold it is).

Le Beret is finished, as is the Basketweave Scarf. I am worried about Le Beret - it seemed to grow enormously after a bath, but it still is drying so I don't know for sure. Serves me right for not swatching, I guess. The Basketweave Scarf is still soaking, which reminds me, I had better get the scarf out of the water before it disintegrates. Ciao!

1 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

I always fo my own gauge and never trust what recommendation on label. Somehow I more trust my own try!
BTW, mitts from previous post are great - since winter is knocking on my door - soon will need a pair for myself!

And why Hedera's teacher assigned me - well, she runs the craft group and since I can't finish everything within 2 hours (what we have per week in school) I simply must take some work home!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home